My Favourite Films to Watch in December

Monday, 1 December 2014


One of the things I love to do in winter, and especially around Christmas time, is to cuddle up under a blanket on the couch or in bed and watch films. Especially all the films with Hugh Grant (when he was a little bit younger) make me very happy. On Christmas day itself we have a Home Alone marathon with the family. Some films just never get boring :). Here's a list with some Christmas films that in my opinion you must have seen before the end of the month (even though you've probably seen them a 1000 times)!


1. Love Actually (2003)

"Follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England."

This is the perfect Christmas film. I've seen this film many many many times, but it's great every single time. It's predictable, but in a good way. What I love so much about this film is that all the different story lines come together in the end (and of course I love the happy ending). I can't imagine there will be anyone reading this who has never seen this film, but if there is: go watch it now!!


2. The Holiday (2006)


"Two women troubled with guy-problems swap homes in each other's countries, where they each meet a local guy and fall in love."

This film also is one of my favourites. The first time I've seen it was years ago in high school, just before the summer holidays (when it was terribly hot outside). Maybe that's the reason I always watch this film around that time of the year. I especially love the part that takes place in England. I'm definetely going to see this film again this month!


3. Home Alone 1 (1990) & 2 (1992)


Home Alone: "An 8-year-old boy who is accidentally left behind while his family flies to France for Christmas must defend his home against idiotic burglars."

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York: "One year after Kevin was left home alone and had to defeat a pair of bumbling burglars, he accidentally finds himself in New York City, and the same criminals are not far behind."

This films just never get old. I particularly like the first two films (Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York), in which Macaulay Culkin plays Kevin. I've seen the other two films as well, but I definetely don't like them as much as the first two.
Edit: apparently there's also a 5th film. I've never seen this one before, has any of you?


4. Elf (2003)


"After inadvertently wreaking havoc on the elf community due to his ungainly size, a man raised as an elf at the North Pole is sent to the U.S. in search of his true identity."

I've seen this film for the first time last year in December. I thought it was hilarious and a little bit embarassing at the same time. The main character behaves so weirdly around normal people that I feel some kind of vicarious shame when I watch it (I get way too much in to it, clearly). A very very funny film, I would definitely recommend this!


5. Alles is Liefde


If you're not from the Netherlands or Belgium, it's very likely that you've never heard of this film (and that you probably won't be interested in watching it). I think you can say it's the Dutch version of Love Actually. A big difference is that the upcoming holiday is Sinterklaas instead of Christmas. Sinterklaas is a very popular holiday on December 5th in the Nederlands and Belgium. 

Tumblr

Do you have any recommendations? I LOVE Christmas films and I really want to discover some more amazing films. 

♥ , Annemarie

1 comment

  1. Lovely photo of the mug and apple so Christmassy and festive, I love Love Actually! Abi :)
    MyW0rldMyView

    ReplyDelete

Latest Instagrams

© Anne's little area. Design by Fearne.