a time out

Monday, 7 August 2017

After finishing my Bachelor and working at my summer job for weeks, I finally had a week off last week. I waited way too long to book a holiday and when I finally knew where I wanted to go (England, of course), the plane tickets had doubled in price. Therefore I decided to just stay in the Netherlands and maybe go to England in October or November. Friends of my parents were kind enough to let me stay in their beautiful cottage in the middle of the forest - the perfect getaway for me! 


 I was on my own the biggest part of the week. Something I was quite afraid of at the beginning, but as the week progressed, I started enjoying it more and more. I went on walks, bike rides and even went running in the forest (a completely different kind of running... I was exhausted). I tried out recipes that took two days to prepare. I fell asleep underneath the skylight listening to the sound of the rain and woke up with the smell of the forest after the rain. I did the dishes even though the cottage had a dishwasher. I had a bath and applied a face mask every evening. I really took it slow and was perfectly fine with that. It was so nice to be able to decide what I wanted to do and when I wanted to do it, without having to discuss it with anybody. 
It was also a week to reflect on the past few months and to think about what I want to accomplish in the upcoming months. Also, because I really took a step back from everything, creative ideas kept running through my head. This always happens to me when I'm away from my normal environment. I took my little notebook with me everywhere I went and wrote down every insight and new idea.
I can recommend taking a time out like this to everyone. It doesn't have to be far away (this was literally a two hour drive from my house) and it doesn't have to be expensive. Just a little house, a hotel or even a tent and a lot of nature around you is all you need :). 
I had a lovely friend visiting me for two days and took a lot more pictures in the forest, but there were way too many to show in one blogpost. So look forward to another post tomorrow!


2 comments

Latest Instagrams

© Anne's little area. Design by Fearne.